Monday, May 9, 2011

overnight oats

I have been dying to try this recipe, and I just couldn't wait any longer. Overnight oats are a breakfast food (or in my case, dinner tonight) that is healthy and very filling, not to mention full of protein. I am guilty of not always eating breakfast, even though it is the most important meal of the day. Overnight oats should solve that problem, whip them up the night before and top them as you please the next morning. So simple and quick if you're on the go in the mornings. I slightly altered the recipe to my likings. Be sure to check out the original recipe, her blog has tons of healthy breakfasts and other foods!

You Will Need:
  • 1/2 C old-fashioned oats
  • 1/4 C greek yogurt
  • 1/2 C almond milk (or any other milk you prefer)
  • 1/2 banana sliced thinly
  • 1 TSP chia seeds
  • 1 TSP vanilla
  • 1 TBS applesauce
  • 1 TBS brown sugar
Combine all into a bowl and mix until everything is evenly distributed. Store in plastic/glass container overnight. The next morning, add about 1/4 a cup (more/less depending on how liquidy you want oats) almond milk to your oats. Top the oats!

My Toppings:
  • 1 1/2 TBS Carob Chips (vegan "chocolate")
  • Frozen strawberries & blueberries
  • 1 1/2 TBS almonds
  • 1 TBS coconut
  • 1 TSP sprinkled brown sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment